The problem or disorder that is caused in the skin accompanied with white patches is called vitiligo. Although it can occur to any part of your body, but it generally affects the areas of your skin which gets largely exposed to the sun. The problem is quite treatable in nature and in some cases; it affects the areas around eyes and the mucous membrane badly. There are many things that you must know about vitiligo so that you can treat it well and avoid it in the future.
- The specific cause of vitiligo is still unknown, but it spreads in the pigment of the skin due to which we get the color of our skin. This pigment is called melanin, and its cells are called melanocytes. The cells of the skin pigment get damaged and the pigment that forms cells loses its color and acquires the disorder.
- The cause of the destruction of this pigment has not been discovered till date but it has been suggested by many doctors that it is caused due to improper functioning of immune system. The likeliness of suffering from this kind of disorder is same for every type of skin color but it is mostly conspicuous in the people having darker shade of skin.
- Vitiligo can also be caused due to overstress and emotional problem. It can also be caused due to overexposure of sunlight.
- People who are suffering from vitiligo often have their skin turning grey in their early ages. They also notice their loss in color of the skin inside their mouth.
- Many people are still uncertain if their white patches spread or if it is communicable. In most of the cases, the white patches do not spread to other people but it can spread to other parts of your body. Vitiligo spreads very slowly to other body parts and it can take several years. Although in few cases, it also spreads rapidly within days but these cases are very rare. Some people also report more white patches after going through high emotional and physical stress.
- Vitiligo can be diagnosed by any doctor easily and they can easily crack the disorder while looking out at the medical history, physical examinations and tests of the person. The doctor also enquires if anyone in the family member suffers from the problem or they have any autoimmune disease. The disorder can also crop up with a bad rash, sunburn or through any skin problems before getting into white patches. It can also start with any stress or physical illness.
If you would like to learn more about this condition then I would urge you to read this site: http://vitiligohub.com it provides you with all the information that you will ever require.